Monday, February 22, 2010

The Sunday Morning Fuzzies...Monday Edition

Damn, today I am feeling my age. All my good thoughts resembling... "gee I'm active and eating right." "I'm in good health." "I'm going to the gym so all is well." ...have turned into "damn, I feel old!" and "I ain't shit." When you are wishing for a walker to help you out of your chair after breakfast, you're feeling it baby. Muscle rebellion. Lower back penance for some unknown sin. Nothing like a couple of hours of beach football to work out every muscle in your body that gym equipment either can't reach, has no knowledge of, or simply doesn't care about. Someone "up there" must take evil, gleeful pleasure in watching me suffer.



But for some reason whooping ass on the teenagers with the old fogey squad (ok we were short one, so my daughter Chelsea helped us out) made it oh so worth it. We won 10 - 5 as a matter of fact, so EAT IT PUNKS!! In light of this victory I now say yes, I will hit the gym harder, care even more about my health, and start working towards the next showdown against youth, the type of performance where you prove age and wisdom (and still some decent physique) kicks butt on pure youth. Yes I will care, oh starting tomorrow maybe. When I'm not sore anymore and not wondering where I put the damn epsom salt.



So it was a great weekend at the beach. We rented a big beach house (6 bedrooms) and filled it with friends and teenagers. Good stuff. I might try it again soon and try to be sober for a major portion of the time, but not quite yet. It was too much fun the way it was.



The beach is really where I see myself growing older The city offers the opportunity to play music often (for money I mean, you can live anywhere and play for yourself, or with yourself for that matter), have a good paying job, have good schools for the kids, etc. However soon we'll be empty nesters, and the beach is a hell of a place to live. It's the 'one with nature' syndrome. The ocean makes you feel not small or insignificant like I've heard some people describe, but more like you are a part of a much larger thing. Nature goes on without you, but you can witness that beauty and power, and really be a part of the cycle in any way you choose. You may feel smaller in the grand scheme of things, but your role in life is accentuated. Your cog in the machine, no matter how tiny and unpretentious it is, helps keeps the machine running. Those great gears cannot turn correctly without your contribution. That is how it makes me feel. It's something to cherish, protect, and just be in awe of all at the same time. You are a piece of something huge and immovable, and maybe you don't have the individual power to change it's course, but you do have the power to participate in something that eludes words and defies descriptions. It just is, and always has been, and always will be.



Seaside itself is kinda crazy when spring hits with all the people everywhere, it is cool in it's own way though even when crowded. Certainly the livelihood of the local folks depend on such activity, and you can tell that they are grateful for it. The smiles on all the faces, the sheer activity and running around that people are involved in, demonstrate that gratitude tenfold. Seaside has enough on Broadway to keep the teenagers happy for the weekend, and a few decent bars for the old folks later on. The beach is right there, the games, bumper cars, bike rentals, kite shops, and restaurants are all on hand too. The shopping is not too shabby, if you like to spend your vacation time doing that (personally not a big fan, but hey it's all right there.)



Once you have had your fill of the crowds then there is mother ocean just waiting. And man, the feeling of getting up at sunrise and just walking the beach! If you hit it early enough you can practically have the whole thing to yourself, and that is really an awesome experience. Nothing comes close to just being next to the surf, breaking a sweat while looking for shells and sand dollars. It's a great way to wake up. If you can go early enough so that you return and still be the one making coffee for the sleeping in folks that just missed out on such a great experience, well that is so much for the better. It's great to share these times with the ones you love, but having your own time with it is good for other reasons. It cleanses the soul.



We got to hang out with friends that stayed with us, one friend that lives there that we never see anymore, and a couple that made a day trip to hang out with us. The only down side of a trip like that is the last day, when you're packing up the vehicle knowing that it's over and that you are just a couple hours of driving away from regular life again. Every last moment is precious, that last cup of coffee before you leave, that last thing you do in town before hitting the highway, it's like you want to milk every last minute, every single experience out of the weekend before giving it back to time and memory for safekeeping. That is when you truly know how special this time was, and how much fun it is to have great friends to share these times with. I can honestly say that I would not trade places with anyone, not when these types of moments are still in my future. I appreciate my wife, my daughter, and my friends. The Oregon coast just has a way of bringing people a little closer, making experiences a little happier and a little more intense, causing food to taste a little better, and making life a little fuller. Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment